Facing Elmwood Avenue, Rockwell Hall is viewed by many as the Buffalo State's "signature" building and was home to the Burchfield Penney Art Center until March 2008, when the Center closed to the public in preparation for its move to the Gwathmey-Siegel designed museum which opened in November 2008.
Rockwell Hall opened in 1931 as the centerpiece of five Georgian-style buildings constructed on the college's new campus. The Main Building (as it was first called) originally contained the college's library, cafeteria, administrative and faculty offices, and an auditorium.
Today, Rockwell Hall is home to:
Classrooms (Smart Classrooms: 201, 202, 204), computer labs, dance studios, offices, performance spaces, practice rooms, second-floor cafe and lounge, wireless Internet service
Art Conservation Department
School of Arts and Humanities
Louis P. Ciminelli Recital Hall
Performing Arts Center at Rockwell Hall (auditorium, box office)
Rockwell Hall was dedicated in honor of Harry Westcott Rockwell in 1961. Rockwell was largely responsible for the growth of the college from the one-building Buffalo Normal School, serving as its principal from 1919 to 1928, to the striking new five-building Elmwood Avenue campus, then known as the New York State College for Teachers. He retired in 1951, after assisting with the process to affiliate the college with the newly formed State University of New York in 1948.
Information from Buffalo State's website