The Burchfield Penney Art Center is a stunning 80K square-foot museum with an annual program of between 14 and 20 changing art exhibitions. The Center spaces include a 159-seat auditorium, a 35-seat Boardroom, Reception Area with room for 150 seated and 250 standing. We host hundreds of programs, events, and rentals each year. We are currently undergoing a renovation for a new classroom space available for programming and rentals. We are looking for a high-energy individual to join our team who has the skills and personality to be our next Manager of Rentals and Events. The Manager of Rentals and Events serves a variety of roles within the Center and is responsible for a range of activities. A public-facing part of our team, the Manager, is and needs to be positive, friendly, and a strong representative of our organization...
The core responsibilities of the position include all requests for rentals. Working on rentals includes offering times to meet and view the space, negotiating fees, creating contracts, accepting deliveries, and being the staff representative while events take place. This work includes outside arts organizations, non-profits, for-profit organizations, Buffalo State College departments, and individuals.
Tracking the Center’s earned revenue from rentals is essential. A critical skill for this position is organization and reporting related to income and use. This data will inform rentals of focus for the highest income and service to our mission. Quarterly reports will give us the ability to respond to our audience and organizational needs. The Manager approaches these duties with an innovative perspective, growing this area of our business.
Not all events that we host are rentals. The Manager will work closely with the Public Programs Manager and the Art Center Educator to help produce/run internal programs. In these instances, the Manager would likely be on site for these events and act as a public face to help guide audience members and answer questions, but would not have to coordinate all the details ahead of time. Some technical knowledge may be required (troubleshooting presentation laptop issues or similar).
This position is collaborative, working across departments to help accomplish organization-wide goals. It includes:
- Communication and collaboration with front desk staff and cross-training on sales of tickets for events
- Working in concert with the Development Department on donor relations events and general membership sales opportunities
- Working with the Facilities Manager to ensure logistic needs are well communicated
- Maintain a relationship with our caterers to ensure all food and beverage needs are addressed
- Communication with the Museum Store regarding staffing around events that will be beneficial to the overall benefit of the museum and clients
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to boost awareness of our facility as a space where rentals can take place
- As the duties vary throughout the calendar year, excellent time management and communication skills are essential. The work includes prioritizing activities, expectation management, and superb attention to detail are crucial to success.
Rental Sales and Coordination 60% (variable)
- Interface with all potential space usage clients internally and externally. Provide answers about the different spaces, tours/walkthroughs, ground plans, fee/rate sheet, and space availability.
- Must familiarize yourself with all museum policies and schedules. Understand when exhibitions and programs will not allow for a rental in a specific location.
- Attend all production meetings and give feedback about needs and logistic questions/concerns.
- Negotiate rental agreements and act as the primary liaison for space rental. Execute rental contracts per approved terms and fees.
- Working with our accounting department, ensure all fees are billed and collected. Interface with Buffalo State College Events Management Team to ensure compliance with state regulations and that appropriate insurance coverage is in place.
- Interface with the caterer to ensure catering information is shared with clients promptly.
- Create accurate electronic files on all space usage. Review BPAC-sponsored events located on the organizational operations calendar and determine if additional information is needed to execute the event properly.
- Complete necessary forms that include information on an event and share where involved parties can adequately review and execute the event.
Set up and teardown of tables, chairs, etc., may be required.
Event Execution 35% (Variable)
- Collaborate with Production, Programming, and Development staff on events that need assistance.
- Technical - understand where and how lighting systems work/overrides, have a basic understanding of simple sound systems and be able to troubleshoot presentation laptop problems on the fly.
- Willing to learn new technologies as the need arises
- Learn ticketing program and POS system - be able to staff the front desk when the need arises for events
- May be called on to introduce a performer or presenter at the top of a show
- Be flexible with last-minute changes – not everything will always go according to plan! Be ready with thoughtful ideas to make the event, program, or rental successful.
Other duties as assigned 5% (Variable)
- Work on projects outside of regular activities
A healthy work-life balance is important at the Burchfield Penney Art Center. In this position, we accomplish this through a flexible weekly schedule. This position must be present at many events that begin or end outside typical Monday – Friday working hours and/or are held offsite. The goal will be for this position to average 40 hours a week.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, to think ahead, and be a problem-solver
- High level of computer literacy, with demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office products, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Able to independently balance competing assignments and priorities, ensuring work that prioritizes what matters most to the Center.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to interact comfortably in social situations with clients, high-level donors, and prospects are essential.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, efficiently manage several work assignments and tasks simultaneously, and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated sales skills is a plus.
Required Qualifications (Education & Experience):
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience of five years.
- At least three years of experience working in rentals/events or other high-paced, high-level customer service industries.
- Passion for the visual arts.
To apply, email a cover letter describing your interest and background and a resume, both in PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Manager of Rentals and Events SEARCH” by September 16, 2022. No phone calls. The Burchfield Penney is an equal opportunity employer.